Monday, September 14, 2015

Doggy Lovin'

After over a year of  talking about getting a dog...the time has finally come! It was an interesting process to say the least. A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon a sweet little dog named Jinx that someone was fostering and trying to find a forever home for. Naturally, I had to have her. So, we filled out the application and waited with anticipation. About a week later, we got a phone call to let us know we were approved to adopt through this particular agency, but sadly the sweet little Jink had already been adopted. We were pretty sad, and down on our luck.

Now, if anyone knows my Mama, they know she is the poster-child for "Everything happens for a reason". In an attempt to make us feel better about missing out on that pup, she just kept telling us "everything happens for a reason, there's a reason you didn't get her." Of course we brushed it off with the "Oh, Mom..." mentality. Not really believing what she was saying.

Then, on Saturday, we headed to Roanoke to go to Sam's Club and walk around the Mall. On the days we aren't feeling particularly active we figure that's a good way to get those steps in and move around without thinking of it as exercise. Over the last couple years we've been dating, Cody and I have started a little tradition. Every time we head to Roanoke for Sam's Club or the Mall we make a pit-stop at the Roanoke Valley SPCA. We always figure it's a nice way for the kitties and doggies to get some attention and lovin' and we get to feed our animal addiction a little.

We walked into the small dog/puppy room and immediately went to his cute boy hound-mix puppy that was starving for attention. After we went back to ask for him to be taken out so we could play with him, we headed back into the room to wait. I could feel something looking at me so I decided to turn around and look at the other side of the room. Wouldn't you know there was the sweetest little girl staring right at me with those big "come pet me" eyes. By the time the volunteer got to the room we'd decided to take her out instead.

After only a couple minutes of playing with her we knew she was our dog. I always tell people that I don't think we really get to pick our pets, I think they pick us. And boy did she do that! We were able to put a 24-hour hold on her so we could have some time to think it over and talk to our landlord. Of course we decided to get her.


I mean, just look at those golden eyes! (And I think it's safe to say she thoroughly enjoyed her car ride home) The SPCA had absolutely no clue what she had in her, just that she is a total mix. After spending some time with her we can tell she definitely has a little hound or beagle in her because her nose is always sniffing. For the most part she's pretty quiet but still has a lot of puppy energy and can get a little rowdy. She's already learning quickly and I can't wait to see what other tricks we can teach her. 

I guess I should mention her name...the SPCA had her listed as Nicki, but I don't think we should have a Nichole and a Nicki under the same roof. We're thinking of re-naming her to Chloe, what do you think? Does She look like a Chloe?


She absolutely loves rolling around in the yard, and of course she did right after her bath! She love her balls and squeaky toys. And yes, even though she's a girl she does have blue everything. If you know me at all you know I've never been super keen on pink :p 

I'm sure you'll hear all about her in future posts. For now, all I can is that it turns out Mama really is always right! There was a better dog out there for us, we just hadn't met her yet. I don't know why I ever second guess that woman... 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, things DO happen for a reason! :) It's funny what you said about "pets picking you", 'cause Sarah said the very same thing to Jenny when Addie Cat came into their lives! I like the name Chloe - seems to fit her. Make sure you teach her manners too! Enjoy your new family member. Love ya! Aunt Crickett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the name! We're working on her manners, she's still young so she gets a little hyper every now and then. But she's learning quickly! We are really enjoying her. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete