Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I'm a Senior?

Well, it seems like I'm already starting to revert back to my old ways - the semester started, I got busy, and forgot to update my blog! The start of the semester is always crazy. Between classes and clubs, and searching for a job, it has been a busy couple of weeks.

Let me just start by saying HOW IS THIS POSSIBLY MY LAST YEAR AS AN UNDERGRAD?!

It feels like I was just moving into college a month ago. Has it really been almost 4 years already? I think someone is playing a trick on me, or I must be sleeping, because that just doesn't seem possible. Everyone said it would go by fast, but I never believed them until it actually happened. It's almost time to put on my big-girl pants and figure out just what I'm supposed to be doing with the rest of my life.

But, before I go there, first I have to finish this year strong! This semester I am taking Personal Health, Drug Education, Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab, and completing my Field Study. My Anatomy lecture and lab are 3 hours long each, and far from fun, but at least the material is interesting. My Field Study is what I'm most excited about.

Throughout the semester I have to complete 144 hours at my site, which is Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in their Outpatient Rehabilitation wing with an Occupational Therapist. The one downside is that I am only an undergrad and have had no training, so the majority of my time is spent simply observing and shadowing OTs. It's slow at times but I have already learned so much and it's only been two weeks.

(Fun Fact: if an individual has a stroke and loses mobility on one side of their body a therapist can often gauge the level of success they will have in rehab based on the initial function they regain - if the first thing they are able to do is shrug their shoulder or slightly raise their upper arm, even if they are unable to move their wrist/fingers, the likelihood of a successful recovery is significantly higher. If their initial movement is only in the fingers or wrist, their recovery will be much more difficult and their chances of regaining full-function is lower. This is because the body operates from the top down. You use larger muscle groups to do big movements, such as shrugging your shoulder. So, of you are able to do that, you can slowly begin to fine-tune the smaller muscle groups as you move down the arm toward the fingers. Gross motor skills come before fine motor skills. Either way, recovery is a very long process and it's important for both the client and the therapist to remain patient and appreciate each milestone, no matter how small it may seem)

You probably weren't all that interested in that fun fact, but it's things that that I find so fascinating. Going into my field study I wasn't sure if Occupational Therapy was still something I would want to do. But now, I'm pretty sold on it. You get to change people's lives and help them return to their normal routine. Not to mention the versatility and flexibility the job offers.

I am also the Community Service Chair for the Occupational Therapy Club at Virginia Tech. I will be able to set up various service events for the club to participate in throughout the semester. First up, is "Getting Crafty" at the Crossings in Blacksburg. This is an assisted living facility. I'm looking forward to meeting the residents and helping them make something beautiful. Who doesn't love a little crafting?

Now, I've been putting off my Anatomy homework a little too long, so I better get back to that. I'll try to write more sooner rather than later.

Cheers so a great start to Senior year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment